Santa Anita, Losing Horses to Other Tracks, Reduces Race Days for Now

ARCADIA, Calif. — Santa Anita will race three days a week instead of four over the next four weeks because the track has lost some of its racehorses to out-of-state sites.

Several stables have shipped horses to Kentucky to run at Keeneland and Churchill Downs, leaving Santa Anita with fewer horses to race and smaller field sizes.

Track officials have yet to decide whether to race three days or four for the final three weeks of the spring meet, which ends on June 23.

The track said on Friday that it was raising purses for all nonstakes races by $10,000 each for the next six weeks to help owners and trainers who lost money when the track was closed for most of March after 23 horses died there since Dec. 26.

After the track’s dirt surface was examined, racing resumed on March 29, with one horse death occurring since then, as a result of injuries in a turf race.

The purse increase begins on April 26 and runs through June 2. Track officials have yet to decide whether to continue it through the end of the meet.

The increase is being funded by excess money in the purse account and money from the Stronach Group, which owns the track.

The chairman of Thoroughbred Owners of California, Nick Alexander, said his group would match the purse supplements in the hopes of returning to racing four days a week.

 

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *